Friday, April 29, 2016

Clutter Control for Creative People

I was talking to my very creative friend Margot about a visit from my feng shui lady. 

“It was wonderful,” I explained enthusiastically, with the zeal of the newly converted. “One of the most important things we discussed was clutter.” 

I heard a soft laugh from Margot and then, “Do you know how many years we’ve been talking about our clutter?”

Here’s the problem with creative people like Margot and me -- We live in the land of possibility:
  • “I can’t throw that out, I could make a (fill in the blank) out of it.”

  • “But I might need that information for an article I might write some day.”

  • “I would so much rather be writing, drawing, or creating something than filing papers!”

  • “I’ll just finish this project and then I’ll clean up my office.”
On the other hand, when we do finally begin to deal with the clutter, there is a profound sense of accomplishment. When we let go of things we don’t need, we are freer to be present in the moment, have much more creative energy, and generally feel lighter and happier. 

Here are a few things that I found helpful:
  • Think about how good it would feel to have empty space.
  • Avoid piling your in-box by making it vertical; it’s easier to deal with things lined up instead of piled up.
  • Do some writing in your journal about feelings that come up when you begin to de-clutter.
  • Schedule time each day to deal with new mail and things that find their way into your office. Make an appointment with yourself in your calendar for de-cluttering.

If you are feeling stuck with clutter in your life and need some help, let’s set up a time to chat. You can reach me at susan@susanborkin.com or by phone at (408) 973-7877.

Please jump in and respond on this blog, by clicking the green 'Comments' link just below.


If you are new to blogging, here are some instructions. If you are the first leave a comment, it will say '0 Comments' - just click that link. If you do not have one of the listed accounts, please choose either Name/URL or Anonymous from the profile list before you click 'Post Comment'

Copyright © 2016 Susan Borkin

No comments:

Post a Comment