Friday, March 30, 2012

What Kind of Fool Am I?


The song, “What Kind of Fool Am I?” was written in 1962 (alas, that would be before many of my readers were born). Since April Fools’ Day was just a few days ago, I thought I would borrow this song title for the subject of my article this month.

Sometimes I wonder about the foolish things I do. I never actually do them on purpose, but nonetheless, I do them. A few examples:
  • Forgetting someone’s birthday
  • Forgetting to return a phone call
  • Not returning an e-mail in a timely manner
  • Paying a bill late
  • Walking all the way to the grocery store and realizing I forgot my shopping list
  • Running late for an appointment
Generally, these aren’t life-changing moments, but they weigh on me. I could feel grumpy about it, be grouchy and blame someone else (even though I know I’m the responsible party), or I could think about this in another way.

Recently an instructor I had for a course, failed to submit notification that I had completed the course. She did everything but apologize. She made excuses and told me I was making her feel guilty. Hmmm. Things happen. I wanted the situation rectified, but I also would have liked her to say she made an error and apologize. But I also learned something. I realized that there were things I needed to do when I made a mistake or had acted foolishly. Here is what I came up with:
  • What needs to be done to rectify the situation?
  • If I have been unkind or harmed someone else, what can I do to make amends?
  • Is there an ongoing pattern in my behavior that I need to look at and possibly make some change?
Mistakes happen. We do foolish things. But to do nothing or learn nothing about the mistakes we have made, would perhaps be most foolish of all.

Take good care, 

 

Please jump in and respond on this blog, by clicking the green 'Comments' link just below.

If you are new to blogging, here are some instructions. If you are the first leave a comment, it will say '0 Comments' - just click that link. If you do not have one of the listed accounts, please choose either Name/URL or Anonymous from the profile list before you click 'Post Comment'

1 comment:

  1. How interesting that this post apparently has nothing to do with writing, yet it does. I think that's because who we are -- how we treat ourselves and how we treat the world around us -- is the place we write from. Thanks for this thought-provoking post!

    ReplyDelete