Friday, August 14, 2015

Change: Scary or Exciting?


Have you ever felt scared and excited at the same time? Feeling two such strong emotions at the same time can be confusing. But let’s look a little more closely at what these emotions mean.

First Day of School

Remember when you were a little kid and it was the first day of school? Perhaps you walked to school, or got a ride, took the bus or rode your bicycle. How did you feel on this important day? You may have been scared and not at all excited. (Think: When do I eat my lunch? Where is the bathroom? What if my teacher is mean?) Or, you might have been excited and not scared at all. (Think: I can wear my new school clothes. I’ll see my friends from the neighborhood. I am really grown up now!) 

Moving to a New Home

Do you remember a time when you moved, leaving behind your home or apartment? Scary feelings and thoughts might have been: Will I like the new neighborhood? Will I still see my old friends? What will happen to my cat? On the other hand, you might have been very excited, feeling and thinking: I’m moving to a wonderful new home. This is my dream house. I’m really looking forward to my new neighborhood. 

Starting a Creative Project

Do you remember the last time you started a big project? Perhaps you were writing an article, a book, or starting a new painting. You may have experienced scary feelings like: I have no idea what I’m doing! What was I thinking? What if I really can’t do this? You might have experienced excitement: I am so jazzed about finishing my book and getting it out in the world! I love the new direction of my work. This is going to be so great!

Embracing Both

In each of these examples and many more you can probably think of, it’s more than likely you experienced both scary and excited thoughts and feelings. When you become aware of this conflict, instead of shying away from it, consider embracing it. Congratulate yourself on your ability to hold two different emotions at the same time. Enjoy the roller coaster ride of mixed emotions. Inevitably, like the weather, feelings seldom stay exactly the same for long.

If you are going through transition or change, and need some help, let's set up a time to chat.

You can reach me at susan@susanborkin.com or by phone at (408) 973-7877.




Susan Borkin


P.S. Remember, if you haven’t done so before, take advantage of our Complimentary Coaching Consultation to increase your creativity and productivity. 

Image Copyright: nisha patel / SloDive

Copyright © 2015 Susan Borkin

No comments:

Post a Comment