Friday, September 7, 2012

Learning to Juggle

I know I’m not alone in managing a myriad of priorities everyday. Somewhere between being in private practice as a psychotherapist and writing coach, being a student, writing a book, being a wife, stepmother, grandmother, niece and friend, I frequently feel like a juggler about to drop the ball.

Recently I had the opportunity to take an actual juggling lesson. As I was practicing the beginning step, tossing one ball into the air and catching it, I realized that I was doing more than learning to juggle. Juggling seemed to be a theme running through my life. Here’s what I learned:

Start With One Ball at Time

In fact, learning to juggle takes lots of practice. Before I can learn to juggle even two balls in the air, I have to learn how to catch one ball at a time. That’s a good reminder that I can only do one thing at a time. Trying to do more than one thing at a time is “false economy.” Neither one gets my full attention.

Sometimes I Will Drop the Ball

No matter how hard I try, I won’t always catch the ball before it drops at my feet. There are times, when I simply forget to take care of something important. Mostly that happens when I have not written down a task I need to do or did not note something I need to take care of.

When I Do Drop the Ball, I Pick it up and Keep Going

If I drop the ball, I just pick it up and keep practicing. That’s fine for juggling balls. But if I have neglected something that impacts someone else, I apologize and do my best to fix it. I try to take care of what needs to be done, not dwell on what did not get done.

You Eventually Learn to Hold More Than One Ball at a Time


In juggling, after learning to catch one ball, the next step is to be able to catch two balls with one hand. This step reminds me that I have greater capacity than I thought. I have noticed that when I have limited time to get something done, someone I manage. I learn to do more than I thought I could.

You Need to Stay Focused on What You are Doing at any Given Moment

No matter how many balls I am trying to juggle, I need to stay focused on what I am doing. If I allow myself to become distracted, I will run into trouble (and get hit in the head)!

I may never learn to be a great juggler, but what I have learned from juggling is to pay attention to one thing at a time, forgive myself if I make a mistake, trust that I have greater capacity than I imagine, and that I do best when I stay focused on whatever I am doing at any given time.

Take good care, 

 

Please jump in and respond on this blog, by clicking the green 'Comments' link just below.

If you are new to blogging, here are some instructions. If you are the first leave a comment, it will say '0 Comments' - just click that link. If you do not have one of the listed accounts, please choose either Name/URL or Anonymous from the profile list before you click 'Post Comment'

1 comment:

  1. One thing at a time. No other way with writing. Inspiration comes from the end of my fingers whether they hold a pen or touch a keyboard. If I have a problem with ideas it's that I "waste" a story by telling it to friends instead of writing it. But if I imagine I'm telling it to friends while I'm writing, I can recapture it. Using a notebook helps, too.

    ReplyDelete